|Sorry, such a bad photo. My camera takes horrible pictures.|
Once everything was secured and sealed with gel medium and thoroughly dried, I decided to paint it blue. True blue. Truthfully, TOO MUCH blue! I worked on the background off and on for several weeks and it just wasn't speaking to me! I added some lighter blue paints and some blue Gelatos and I still didn't like it. I looked at the page over and over every time I walked through the room. I finally decided it needed some tans and browns and that's when I got re-inspired. And once I threw in some metallic bronze paint things started coming together.
I used several stamps and stencils to give the background some texture and even a pencil eraser and paper towel tube. The diamond grid looks bright in the photo but it's Brilliance ink and is more subtle to the eye than to the camera.
I like chipboard shapes but some of them can be pretty thick and cause issues in a journal, especially if you will be stamping on subsequent pages. So I very carefully tore this one in half so I had two identical butterflies. I used a die set of a lock and key and cut shapes out of the butterflies. After the holes were cut the butterflies were coated with paint, metallic blue Gelato and bronze embossing powder.
Then I used the same dies on card stock and once they were inked up, I placed them in the butterflies. Tan paper was attached to the back of each so that the painted background wouldn't show through. I cut out another key to go near the saying at the bottom. A dollar store doily and one of Tim Holtz's journal tickets were inked up and added as well as a few die cut butterflies.
It took a lot of steps and a lot of time, but I like the end result and I hope you do, too!