Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Pan Pastels for the first time!

Hi, everyone.  Welcome to my first project using Pan Pastels.  I've never used them before so I did a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos before I picked up a sponge.  There is a wonderful post on Altered Pages Artsociates that will walk you through the tools and techniques to get you started.  Where you go from there is up to you!


I am using two colors on this project - Permanent Green Extra Dark and Magenta Extra Dark.  I began by applying an even layer of green around the outer edge of the 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 card panel with one of the finger width sponges.

Then I filled in the center with an even layer of the purple with the same sponge.  You simply need to wipe the first color off on a scrap of paper or paper towel before using the second color; there is no washing required.

Using the stylus, I drew several vines and leaves across the entire card panel.  Light purple berries were added to the vines using a pastel pencil.  To give them more dimension, I highlighted the vines and berries with a gold gel pen.

Since I had the pencil set out, I added some shading to the leaves with white and gray pencils. 

I have an awesome alphabet stencil set that I picked up at one of the big box hardware stores.  They sell several different sizes and you can find them near the mailboxes.  For the word "DANCE", I used the smallest set.  I outlined the letters with pencil and then filled them in using a white paint pen and then used a colored pencil to add a shadow to the letters.

This beautiful ballerina has been on my desk for months just waiting to dance onto a project.  I printed the 1793 Vintage Ballerinas collage sheet on 8.5 x 11 white card stock and cut out the lovely soloist.  The panel was then mounted on two corresponding sheets of textured card stock and fits an A7 envelope.

It's a simple card to highlight the beautiful background.  I had fun playing with these wonderful Pan Pastels!  They are a wonderful addition to my mixed media art supplies!!  Thanks for stopping by and visiting.  Happy Crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment