Hello and Merry Christmas!
The project I am sharing with you today is a "vase" for your holiday table. It can be used as is for artificial flowers or with a glass cup or bottle inside to hold water if you prefer real cut flowers.
I started with a large aluminum can from beef stew. I wanted a container large enough to hold a full glass or small vase of water. Using the Activa Rigid Wrap, I cut a long strip to go all the way around the can from top to bottom on two sides. This starter strip gave all of the other pieces something solid to adhere to.
The Rigid Wrap is super easy to use. Simply dip the strips into water and press into place. Gently rub each piece, adding a drop of water to your finger when necessary, until the clay smoothes out and the canvas backing doesn't show. At this early stage you can still see the lines of the can through the wrap.
I started adding squares and strips in various directions to build up the texture and hide the can's lines. When I was happy with the patterns and textures I set the can aside to dry. I left it about 24 hours.
When dry, I painted the can with a shiny bronze acrylic paint...then a little more drying time.
Afterwards, I rubbed Chocolate Gelato on the ridges and bumps to give it a little aged look. Green StazOn in was sponged on top for a little holiday color.
At this point I should have sprayed it with a fixative, but I didn't. I know this, because when I went on to the next step some of the green bled through! Oops!
Anyway, I used some of the ribbon I received in an Altered Pages kit (this year's Christmas kit...I think) and plucked out the gold Dew Drops from the Golden Berry set.
I wrapped strips of double sided adhesive tape at the top and bottom and pressed the ribbon in place. Then I glued the Dew Drops in place with Jewel-It glue. This is where my mistake became apparent. Everywhere the glue soaked into the ribbon there is a green tint.
To make this project more festive, I added an Altered Pages collage image of Vintage Santa Claus and a Christmas wreath, attached with Tacky Glue.
I opted for artificial flowers because my dining room doesn't get enough natural light to keep real flowers alive for very long.
Best wishes to everyone for a happy holiday! Please stop by the Altered Pages Artsociates blog to see another fun project using Activa products.
Until next time...HAPPY CRAFTING!