Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Playing with Mica this week

I found a really cute plastic suncatcher at the dollar store this week and thought to myself, "Gee, I bet that would look pretty filled with Crystal Lacquer!".  So I brought it home and got out my box of Mica products and I also got out my Sakura 3D Crystal Lacquer.  I've used the lacquer on a few jewelry pieces and all of my bezels are gone so I've been trying to find other projects for the beautiful lacquers.  I only have one set so I used what I had and then also mixed up batches using Terri Sproul's mixers and the clear lacquer.  The mica mixers have a different look to them than the others so my suncatcher has different textures.  The pre-made 3D colors are pearly and, although it's hard to tell from this picture, the mixers are a more sparkly effect.  For the sky, I mixed USArt Quest's Mica D'Lights into the clear lacquer.  The D'Lights don't completely color the lacquer so the sky is more opaque and not as glittery as the mixers.  I really like the look and I will be seeking out more of these cute (and cheap!) projects.



 While I had the box of Mica out, I noticed my mica tiles.  I haven't played with them very often and I thought this little one was the perfect size for an ATC.  I grabbed my mocha colored alcohol ink and a Q-tip and darkened the tile up just a little.  Then I added a drop of the ink to the tile and let it spread out naturally.  I smudged some charcoal colored chalk ink around the edges and then stamped a weave pattern with ink very similar in color to the card stock and embossed.  I added another background pattern and a couple of other stamps and glued down the mica on top using clear Crystal Lacquer.  I dipped the edges of the card on the charcoal pad and now I can decide if this one is for trading or if it will go on a card in the future!



I've done a little art journaling this week, as well.  I'll be sharing those pages with you soon.  In the meantime, if you'd like to follow along on the art journal journey (try saying that 5 times fast!) please join Terri Sproul's online classes every Tuesday.  I'm learning a lot and have started using the acrylic paint that has intimidated me in the past!  It's a lot of fun!

Thanks for taking the time to visit me.  Drop me a line or follow my blog with the links at the bottom! 

2 comments:

  1. cool atc. thanks for playing ABAC challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collaged ATC Robin! Love how you've used the mica tile.
    Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But A Card this time.
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete