Pages

Saturday, May 24, 2014

A fun mermaid tag

Hello again!  Today I have a fun tag project for you that was made with the Mailbox Muse Mermaid kit that recently came in the mail.  If you stopped by the Mailbox Muse Facebook page last week you saw my little teaser pic…


Isn’t she beautiful?  What a fantastic inspiration!  These kits are filled with beautiful scrapbook papers, printed collage sheets, rubber stamps and lots of beautiful embellishments.  Let me walk you through the project.

I chose to work with a large tag so that the whole mermaid image could be used on a vertical project.  All of my inks on this project are from IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko.  I took my Nautical Blue Memento ink pad and rubbed it over the tag then heat set the ink.  After that, I used the Golden Glitz Delicata ink pad and rubbed on more ink.  This time, while the ink was really wet, I grabbed a tissue and rubbed the tag in the opposite direction of the ink to spread it out and soften the lines.  Using a stamp by Sin City Stamps from my collection, I randomly stamped some mini circles in Pistachio Memento ink.  I heat set the entire tag again.

Using the seaweed stamp that came in the kit, I stamped some light and dark images in Spiced Chai StazOn ink all around the bottom and sides of the tag and also above where the top of the mermaid image would be.  The mermaid was attached with double-sided adhesive. 


After she was in place, I stamped more seaweed to blend the edge of the image with the rest of the tag.  The seaweed was colored with Pistachio and Rhubarb Stalk Memento markers.  They are dual tip and I used the brush side of each.  The saying "Undersea Fantasy" is another stamp from the kit and is also stamped with Spiced Chai. 

With some scraps from a different tag project, I lightly rubbed the Pistachio ink pad over the paper and stamped a couple seashells in the same color as the seaweed.  This little shell also came in the kit.  I added a few lines of color with the Pistachio marker to give them a little depth. 

Two of the three shells were rounded so that they could be attached with foam squares.  You can do this by fussy cutting the image and then placing it in either a spoon or your palm, face down, and rubbing it in a circular motion.  The third shell was left flat so two of them could be slightly stacked easily.  Once all of the coloring was done and the shells were in place, I dipped the edges of the tag in the Nautical Blue ink pad to give it a framed look and the heat set just the edges. 

Some beautiful Dew Drops and a seahorse charm from the kit embellishments were added.  In my stash, I found a short string of “pearls” leftover from the Paris Mailbox Muse kit and they seemed like the perfect way to finish the project! 

As you know, during the month of May, the Altered Pages Design Team and the Eileen Hull Designs Artist Trading Block Design Team have been bringing you some pretty awesome projects every Tuesday and Thursday.  I hope you’ve been enjoying them!!  There is only one more week in May so be sure to stop over at both blogs next week for a few more fun ATBs!  Until next time…Happy Crafting!



Final Scan
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment