Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

This game cube is more fun than a barrel of monkeys


During the month of May join the Altered Pages Design Team as we cross promote Eileen Hull Designs Sizzix Artist Trading Block's.  The designers will be posting their ideas for ATBs every Tuesday and Thursday. Be sure to stop by for a month of inspiration.  And today, it’s my turn! 

Here it is...just waiting for inspiration!
And what did I make with my 3” box?  A game cube!  Sorry, Nintendo, but this one doesn’t need any wires.  AlteredPages has a collage sheet of vintage game boards and I have a fondness for travel games and game key chains…which means I have a lot of tiny game pieces!


The checkerboard & bingo board games were printed about 15% larger than their normal size and a couple of them were trimmed down a bit.  I started by using the primary colors of Tim Holtz distress paints around the edge of each square because they are the colors used in most children’s games.  The edges of each board was daubed with the same color as its square.  Then, it was time to embellish!

I used mini playing cards, tiny game pieces and some Scrabble tile stickers.  One of my favorite game key chains is the old Barrel of Monkeys.  I cut off the tab that held the keychain.  The barrel was a very bright neon lime green.  I felt it was just too bright to go with the old style game boards.  I wanted it to fit in more with the vintage feel so I aged it a little bit with grey paint.
 
Small dominos were used for the feet of the box.  These were distressed with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo ink and glued together in pairs in an L-shape.
Once all of the pieces were complete I adhered all of the game pieces to the completed box.  Putting it together was so easy!  Double-sided tape on the tabs is all it took!  I left the top flap open because the barrel and other toys need to stand on the shelf. 
 
To create the shelf inside the box I used a square of florist foam and another game board from the collage sheet. 
 

I hope you enjoyed my project.  Visit the Altered Pages and The Artists on the Block blogs for more fun with these die-cut boxes.  And visit me here on my own blog, Robin’s Birdhouse!


I didn't have an mini checkers so I used Dew Drops from The Robin's Nest.

 Want to make my day?  Leave a comment below and let me know what you think.  Until next time, Happy Crafting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment