Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

A little studio play time

I wasn't planning on a post today, but I made this little canvas last night and I am proud of the way it turned out.  I sat down to play and this is the result...

Scan shows detail but cuts down on the shine

A couple of months ago I coated this 5x7 canvas board with Spiced Chai StazOn ink.  It's a beautiful brown ink and is probably my favorite color to work with right now.  Well, I was impatient and decided to heat set the ink instead of waiting (and waiting) for it to dry naturally.  The strangest thing happened...the ink and gesso on the canvas interacted and it turned a dark olive green!  Since that wasn't the color I wanted at the time, I set the canvas aside. 

When I rediscovered it on my table I decided it was time to play.  I added molding paste through a stencil with a pattern of tiny circles.  The paste absorbed the green and gave the surface a nice mottled finish.  Then I sprayed Bronze irRESISTible coating in places.  Bronze Colorbox and Dark Brown Colorbox Chalk inks were sponged heavily around the outside edges and lightly in the center. 

The papers are from Altered Pages.  The cream sunflowers and clock were in their "natural" color kit.  Memento markers in Pistachio and Rich Espresso were used to highlight spots.  I punched a flower out of a solid cream card stock from the same kit and stamped some French text over the top.  The same text is stamped directly on the canvas in a couple of places.  The color sunflower and bumble bee (retired) are from collage sheets.  The edges of the bee were colored with the Pistachio marker.

I unraveled a piece of raffia rope and added both bronze inks to it on the folds and the chalk ink on the edges.  Chocolate Dew Drops and a key embellishment finished off the piece.  I hope you like it!

Until next time...Happy Crafting!

Here's a picture from the camera which shows the high gloss on the project.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous canvas, Robin. I love it all! So glad you discovered your canvas board or we would not have been able to see your beautifully finished project.

    ReplyDelete