Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2016

A Dixie Belle Canvas

Hello my artsy friends!  All month long the Altered Pages Design Team has been sharing projects using Dixie Belle paints.  There have been some really wonderful DIY and art projects. I think it's great that this paint works equally well for both.

Today I have a 5x7 canvas board to share.  I started with three base colors.  Dixie Belle Terra Cotta and Grunge Glaze and gesso for shading.



I used the palette to mix darker and lighter shades of the Terra Cotta paint and added it to the canvas board at random. To make areas even darker or lighter I used the glaze or gesso without mixing.


While the board was still wet, I used my fingers and my brush to get the last of each of the colors and drip them on to the canvas.  The board was thumped on the scrap paper to encourage the paint to drip the length of the board.  Then I turned it the other direction and repeated.



StazOn ink works very well over paint so I used three colors to make the bricks and darken the edges.  I lightly heated the ink with a heat tool without getting close just to be sure the ink was set enough to handle.  Then I used a white gel pen to outline the stenciled bricks by hand.  More ink was sponged in the top corner to give it some balance.



The lightened Terra Cotta paint coats this chipboard balloon.  StazOn ink was rubbed around the edged with a cotton swab and then the Grunge Glaze was added to the two outer stripes on each side.


One of the color tag alphabets made a great sentiment and a multi-color piece of ribbon finishes the piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment